Tuesday, October 26, 2010

In the Dark

9-20-06

she lays alone,
in the dark the silence closes in
a faithful dog lays at her feet,
a single tear rolls down her cheek,
she turns left, and to the right
a cold, cold fear, grips her tight
She knows at last the time has come
she hears a whisper, her faithful dog wimpers
He too knows the time is come
he lay awake, his time is done
He feels two small arms around his neck
he feels a small tear wet his head.
He is old, his time is come
She is young, her time just begun
With a small whimper, as his last breath
a small voice crys out, a cry of death
He sees her there, crying for him
his spirit engulfs her, he gives her a kiss
the girl feels it, lightly on her cheek
slowly rising she pats his head
she meets her parents at the door
they too know that he is gone
together they weep in the dark.

1 comment:

  1. as a tear escapes down my face, i remember a time where i was young. a faithful dog i did love, but not death did come, my mother gave him away, after so many restless hours and years, he saved my life more than once, my love hes loyal, he was the for every seizure, and she tore him from me, part me died inside, this poem makes me cry

    ReplyDelete